Sunday, May 25, 2008

Camera Critter Sunday -- Elusive Cormorant




These guys are a challenge to photograph. If they're in the water, they can dive at any instant and you'll have no idea where to watch for them to re-surface. We jokingly refer to them as "drowning ducks" around here because one of our friends was sorely distressed the first time she saw one dive. When it didn't come up and didn't come up, she was shouting "the duck is drowning, the duck is drowning!". Now it's a game to see who can guess where they will come up! Last weekend we were out on the boat and came across this guy. I decided to see how close we could get. The last photo here is actually the first I shot. The other two I had to zoom to get, so they're not very sharp. Considering that I was both the captain and the photographer, I guess they're not too bad! You would think that photos 1 and 2 are reversed, but they're not. He/She was considering vacating the premises, but apparently decided we were relatively harmless and decided to stay. See more Camera Critters moderated by Misty Dawn.

10 comments:

i beati said...

some color - all of them here are blue whote or combo sandy

Juliana said...

wow...cool shots

My CC in here Thanks

Tanya Breese said...

The drowning duck, that's funny! Great photos!

Misty DawnS said...

WOW! These are fantastic captures!

"The duck is drowning!" - hahahahaha - love it!

Jim Klenke said...

If I didnt know better I would say the first one was some type of water art. Thats a great picture.

ratmammy said...

you did great with these photos!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Great captures - nice of him to pose for you!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Elusive cormorant is quite right. This is astounding. I have the one I am chasing all the time. I love it when they are displaying like this.
Brilliant choice.

Texas Travelers said...

Great photographs of the Cormorant.

I try to visit regularily,
but don't always leave comments.
Too many good blogs,
so little time.

Alaska Sunday is posted.
Come visit,
Troy and Martha

Kris McCracken said...

This fellow doesn't mind showing off, does he?

Windy Start to Spring..Mar 18

Windy Start to Spring..Mar 18
Probably not the best day to start this blog.....